Friday, August 20, 2010

WORD!

I can't begin to tell you how much I love words. I love to think about how people use words. I didn't talk until I was around 4 years old. I think I just soaked up all the words and conversations around me. There is a lot you can learn by not speaking and just listening. Later growing up, this love extended to spelling and etymology.

My two favorite books as a child were "Are you My Mother" By P.D. Eastman and "The Foot Book" by Dr. Seuss. Which is only slightly ironic considering my aversion to feet `;~) Interestingly enough, both books are about perceptions.

I listen to not only the words, but the inflections placed on each word. Which word and syllable was stressed, at what point did the speaker get more animated or more closed. How did they phrase their point? Are they passionate about the subject? How does that passion come through in their words? In their actions?

Magickally speaking, how one phrases their words, spells, chants, and even sigils can make a significant difference in the outcome. It is the difference between getting that new job you are hankering for and getting a new responsiblity tacked onto your current job with no monetary increase, I might add. It is the difference in coming up with the money to pay one bill or enough money to pay all your bills.

There is a difference between thinking positively and being positive. For instance, saying "My rent check will not bounce" rather than "I will have enough to pay my rent" or even better saying "I will have $600 dollars to pay my rent and get groceries."

It took a long time to see this difference, but it is there and it is subtle as all magick is. One niggle of doubt can overcome all the positive. It does not have to be obviously negative to be negative. Negativity is an insidious thing. It is like that monster in your closet, just waiting for a crack.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just found your blog, lovely to find another bellydancing witch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RetroKali!

    I'm so glad you found my blog `;~) I love bellydancing Witches! YAY!~!!!!

    ReplyDelete